Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Santa Monica Crazie

I went to the Farmers Market last Saturday and while waiting for a friend to weed through the identical bushels of lavender at one of the booths, I hovered on the edge of the table trying not to sniff too much - I really don't like the over powerful fragrance. For some reason, Lavender has been deemed a "Girlie scent", therefore making most people assume all women like the smell and want to buy it in whatever form they can find it or receive it as a gift. So not true, but of course, when I'm trying to look as non-disgusted as possible without holding my nose, a random lady starts to try and sell me on buying a lavender scented oil or a steam of the plant off the table.

"Isn't this a lovely smell," the lady waves the oil bottle under my nose as I try to refrain from whacking her hand away.

"I'm not really a fan of Lavender," my voice even.

"Oh," she thinks a beat, "Well there's a peppermint oil and a jasmine one," she points to the little amber bottles sitting on the white linen.

I almost dislike peppermint as much as Lavender, clearly my "woman gene" is on the fritz, "Those are infused with Lavender," I state.

"Are they?" she actually picks up one of the bottles and examines its label, "So it is, but it's a light scent."

"Yea, still, I'm not a fan."

"How about a nice bundle of the steams?" she reaches for the light purple and green leaves.

"Thank you, but no thanks. I'm just waiting on a friend," I desperately try to pretend I'm interested in some small shit-kicker trying to escape from its owners tiny black purse.

The lady puts the dreaded plant back in its bucket and ambles down the booth lined street to another vendor. I watch her retreating back, realizing she didn't even work for the lavender seller. So why the hell was she so adamant on trying to get me to buy a product that wasn't even her own? Good ole Santa Monica crazies!

No comments:

Post a Comment