Thursday, March 25, 2010

More than one pick up at the Pharmacy

There's nothing quite like having someone stare at you randomly with a confused look on their face until they (or you) muster up the courage to ask, "do I know you?" (or in my case, "What?!") So, after my lovely adventure to the allergy doctor (I'm trying to figure out why I'm allergic to my house), I was laden down with prescriptions at CVS waiting for the next available pharmacist when the random older gentleman in front of me pipes up with, "I wasn't meaning to keep staring at you, but do I know you?" I happened to have been in one of my zone out moods and was more thinking about how horrible my swollen eyes looked in public then why this guy kept looking at me, but his comment got me to acknowledged him. He was a 40's white man in a plaid button up shirt with short, graying hair and brown eyes. Nothing remarkable stood out about him and in no way was he familiar to me - I'm usually pretty good with remembering faces, terrible with names, but good with faces. I didn't really feel up to the whole, "did you work here," or "have you ever been here," questions, so I just asked, "do you watch Showtime?" "Sometimes." This was promising and would solve all our problems real quick, "you ever watch a show called, 'I Can't Believe I'm Still Single'?" "Yeah," his eyes get real intense as he studies me for a few seconds and then goes, "You're the assistant, right?" Ugh, why do people have to assume I'm always the assistant? "Yeah, that's me." "I thought you looked familiar. Well it's really nice meeting you." He then goes on to ask about Eric, what happened to the show - I tell him we just finished season 3, where did we travel to this time - we stayed in New York only; "you know you were the mediary of the group", and so on until the merciful pharmacist finally called for the next person in line.

It's not that I don't like talking about the shows that I've worked on with people or being noticed for actually being in Still Single (this is the third time someone’s recognized me), but it's a little odd to have someone know that much about you and you don't know anything about them. Kind of a creepy stalker-ish feeling which makes me kind of feel bad for the people that I've worked with in the past and then met again sometime later, talking to them like old chums while they don't remember who I am and wonder how I know so much about them. But it is their own fault for not remembering me and getting creeped out because of their faulty memory, but in my case with Still Single, I don't actually know these people and therefore have a genuine fear for being creeped out.

Anyhow, I get called next for my prescriptions to be processed and while I'm asking about prices and generics, the man says good day and leaves. I find out I have to wait about 30 mins before I can pick up my medicine, so I entertain myself by browsing the aisles, greedily eating my yet-to-be-bought Cadbury mini eggs (the best chocolate that's unfortunately only sold at Easter), and reading some trashy entertainment magazine comparing Shiloh to Suri, like these poor kids need more attention. Can't the news focus on more important matters like the wars that our troops are fighting, the millions of homeless people in America, the poor kid that just went missing, or something that doesn't have to do with media hungry parents? I don't know, but is it just me or are Americans getting lacks in caring about current events, preferring to fill their heads with the Who's Who of Hollywood dating scene? Seriously people, there's more to the world then Hollywood.

Sorry, random tangent. So sitting in a hard plastic chair an hour later, my teeth were beginning to ache due to all the sugar I had munched on and I'd read my lovely magazine twice, nothing had changed - Shiloh still dresses like a boy and Suri wears $850 dresses to go shopping, when I figured it would be best to wait in the 10-person long, pharmacy pick-up line to see if my prescriptions were finished and they just hadn't called my name. The first thing that happens to me is that the lady behind me sneezes on me, which is slightly disgusting, but yea, I'm in a pharmacy line so it was bound to happen, and then semi apologizes by way of explaining she isn't sick, just had asthma. I have asthma and I don't really think that it causes a person to sneeze, but maybe it's a symptom I don't know about. I tell her it's ok (what am I suppose to do, yell at her and say use a handkerchief? There was already a guy in front of us that told some lady to ‘piss off’ as he cut the line since he heard his name called and the lady - who was about to be up at the counter - complained. One douche bag per store please.)

I turned back to watching the line move nowhere when I here, "you know, you should marry Eric." I look up to see my fan in the aisle over. "What?!" "You should marry him and then break up to get the alimony." This is the stupidest thing I've every heard. First, I have no intention of ever marrying Eric (sorry Eric if you're reading this), he's a great guy, but definitely not the guy for me, and second, why would I marry someone and then just divorce him? I'm not a person who cares much about money in the first place or fame and I don't think I would have achieved either of those things even if I had married Eric. "Um, no thanks. Eric and I are just friends." "But, you could get the alimony." "Yea, um, Eric doesn't have as much money as you probably think, and no, that would be weird." The guy ponders this for a bit while the rest of my line as taken notice of my new friend and I. I mean, if you were stuck in a long line that wasn't moving, wouldn't you ease drop on a strange conversation taking place beside you? I'm pretty sure half the people were wondering, "Who's Eric?" and the other half, while trying to figure out what we were talking about, might have been trying to figure out how this random guy just asks me a random question in a CVS and I don't bat an eyelash towards it's strange nature. "Well, you should think about it." "Thanks," I sarcastically reply. "It was nice to me you, bye," he waves and walks down the aisle and out of the store. I'm left with curious glances, but peace and quiet.

This little incident might be one of the reasons why I never, ever want to become famous. Yeah, you can have nice cars and a big house, but you get strange people coming up to you all the time and saying odd things - which is entertaining when you're bored in a CVS pharmacy line, but can cause problems if you're somewhere important or out with a person that doesn't like people inviting themselves into your inner circle. I also wouldn't ever want to have my privacy invaded. It's not like I do anything note-worthy, but it's nice to know that no one really knows what I do or how boring my life truly is. Somethings are best kept in the dark. Herein lies the end of my 3rd meet and greet story with a Still Single fan that I had to actually inform first that he was a fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment